[ansel] Auto rotate

Randy Ridley ansel at anr.net
Fri Sep 21 16:24:17 UTC 2012

The exif driver is set to Exiftool (recommended) in the horde
configuration with the path set to "/usr/bin/exiftool". ExifTool has
been istalled from the yum repository and is located there (as
verified by "which exiftool")

Picking out one photo that should be rotated but isn't, the following
information is found:

1) The exif data displayed beneath the photo in ansel shows "Camera
Orientation 90 deg CW"

2) exiftool run on the original shows:
             Orientation                     : Rotate 270 CW
             Camera Orientation              : Rotate 270 CW

3) A direct sql query on table ansel_image_attributes shows:
             attr_name = Orientation
             attr_value = 8

4) exiftool run on the actual file stored by ansel in the VFS shows:
             Orientation                     : Rotate 270 CW
             Camera Orientation              : Rotate 270 CW

5) exiftool run on various other versions of the image stored in the
VFS (different directories) shows:
     (a) Image Size = 150x100
         Software = ImageMagick

     (b) Image Size = 150x100 (no Software tag in this file)

     (c) Image Size = 75x75 (and a full set of exif data in this copy)
         Orientation = Rotate 270 CW

I'm assuming the 150x100 are the thumbnails for the picture when used
on the normal interface and the 75x75 is the thumbnail when used in
the mobile interface. none are rotated correctly when displayed. I'm
not sure where else to look for the orientation data to see if ansel
is importing it correctly.

Quoting mrubinsk at horde.org: