[board] Welcome to the Horde Advisory Board (beta)

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Wed Jan 23 01:03:07 UTC 2008

> Quoting Ben Klang <ben at alkaloid.net>:
>
> > On Jan 10, 2008, at 11:13 PM, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> >> The idea for the advisory board is to create a smaller community
> where
> >> Horde developers and users can communicate and to try to make sure
> >> that the community is getting what it needs from Horde, and that
> we as
> >> developers are getting what we can from the community.
> >
> > In my opinion perhaps the best way to achieve this goal is to give
> > the Horde Board a bit more structure.  While this mailing list can
> be
> > a very effective tool, without some kind of mandate I believe this
> > will turn into something that overlaps with horde-dev.
>
> I was actually thinking the exact same thing. "Should this
> question/suggestion go to dev@ or board@ or both?" was what I could
> envision being asked.  I think that either quarterly telephone or
> monthly IRC meetings that have a very loosely structured agenda would
> be perfect although I acknowledge that this does add slightly more
> complexity as far as logistics go (board members' availability and
> time pressures etc...)
>
> Thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
> mrubinsk at horde.org
>
> "Time just hates me. That's why it made me an adult." - Josh Joplin

Hi everyone,

Chuck just asked me to join this group and I'm thrilled at the
opportunity to help guide this project.  I'm sure you've all seen one
or two questions being posted by me in the horde and imp lists ;) .
I'm running an installation at the University of Alberta in Edmonton,
Alberta, Canada which serves about 75000 or so users.  My role here is
more from the user and admistrator perspective as I have limited horde
development experience (hacking aside).

I agree with Mike that some loose structure would be a good idea, but
I also think it would be in our best interests to keep a casual
communication line open between scheduled "meetings".

I've also been chatting with Chuck about the possibility of setting up
a Horde conference and was wondering what everyone else thought of
that?  What I had in mind was something along the lines of the JA-SIG
conference - it had a lot of high-level discussion and tutorials but
also offered nitty-gritty tutorials for new users interested in
setting up their uPortal system.  But I haven't a clue how many people
would come initially so it might work out better to just schedule a
meeting somewhere (preferably in the summer) and go from there.  I
think it would be great to meet up and talk face to face for a few
days.  Alternatively we could do something like piggyback on an
existing conference like USENIX's LISA conference - that way we can
take advantage of the existing conference infrastructure keeping costs
way down.

Anyway... just food for thought.

Kevin