[chora] Slight problem..

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:10:41 +0000

Quoting "Matthew M. Gamble" <mgamble@dystopium.com>:

> Ah, ok....  Well that explains it...  So I assume I have to have Chora and
> my CVS server on the same box (or use NFS, etc...).

Yeah - as long as the repository is visible as a UNIX file system, that's
fine.  I've used everything from local storage to a NetApp filer (NFS) with
no problems.

> Any plan to support remote CVS?

Sort of.  For that to work, the web-server would have to make a request
to the remote server via SSH/RSH on almost every single URL request.  This
is generally a bad thing in performance terms.

However, the goals for Chora include a database/caching backend, which
would render the actual CVS viewer independent from the repository, and
so you could have synchronisation scripts from the remote repository to the
web server machine. Other potential extensions could be the use of the CURL
extension in PHP to retrieve the repository.  I haven't investigated this.

I'm actually a bit wary of putting too much time into getting stuff like
this to work with CVS.  Subversion (subversion.tigris.org) looks pretty
exciting, and I'm trying to step back and look at the various alternatives
to CVS which are just starting to emerge now.

Jon has mentioned trying to extend this script to work with Perforce as well,
which I'd be interested in doing.  We use Perforce at work, and so, while it
isn't my job, at least I have a massive repository to test the script
against if we do try this! :-)

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>