[chora] luxor / chora

Cynic cynic@mail.cz
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 02:49:01 +0200

At 01:54 8/11/2001, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote the following:
>On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:28:53AM +0200, Cynic wrote:
>> At 17:53 8/10/2001, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote the following:
>> >I must confess I have no idea what you are saying here ...
>> >what do you want to do exactly?
>>
>> A quick example: $fullname jumps out of nowhere in co.php.
>> Putting
>>
>> $fullname = Chora::getFullName();
>>

>Ahhh, right.  That's just remnants of Chuck's original
>port from the perl script.  It's going to disappear very
>shortly.

Good.

>> I'm not sure if I got this right: you mean that a reorganization
>> that wouldn't allow to snap in other versioning systems (easily)
>> isn't worthwile?
>>

>Nope, it isn't - not without looking at the capabilities of
>Perforce and Subversion (both of which outstrip CVS bigtime).

Isn't Perforce a commercial product?

>In fact, I'm not even sure that the same interface would be
>appropriate for each of these systems.

Subversion looks very promising, but hasn't been released yet.
ITMT we could probably prepare Chora for different backends.
The Subversion client API isn't stable yet IFAIK, so.. I don't think
the development of Chora should be suspended until the release of
another software.

>> Yeah, I found out latter that physical path is in $fullname and the
>> filepath from URL is in $where. When I started writing phLXR I also decided
>> to use PATH_INFO for this, but it only turned out it just sucks. And since
>> the Chora URLs contain querystring anyway, it'd be easier if you could
>> just stick &file=whatever in there. You could save the code that gets the
>> name from the URL. Not to mention problems with servers that don't support
>> PATH_INFO. Is that what you planned to do?
>
>I was planning to leave PATH_INFO, otherwise existing
>URLs would break.  What do others think?  I dont mind either
>way.

It's not like Chora was an established application with lots of
installations, or is it? It hasn't been officially released yet,
right? I'd get rid of PATH_INFO.

cynic@mail.cz
And the eyes of them both were opened and they saw that their files
were world readable and writable, so they chmoded 600 their files.
    - Book of Installation chapt 3 sec 7