[chora] luxor / chora

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 02:02:48 +0100

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:49:01AM +0200, Cynic wrote:

> Isn't Perforce a commercial product?

Yes.  It's still a very very nice RCS though, and we use
it at work at NetApp, so I'd like to have Chora support it.

Jon was looking at hooking the Perforce API into PHP a
while back.

> ITMT we could probably prepare Chora for different backends.
> The Subversion client API isn't stable yet IFAIK, so.. I don't think
> the development of Chora should be suspended until the release of
> another software.

You can't prepare it for different backends.  That implies
that the backends all expose the same interface ... in reality,
Subversion is different from Perforce is different from CVS.

I just need to take the time to do a proper comparison and
figure out if there will be any commonality of UI or not.
e.g., how do we gracefully degrade to the CVS view?

Or, it may not be worth the trouble at all; just write different
apps for these RCS's.

And if we do just stick with CVS, CVSLib isn't too badly
broken - apart from the lack of references, it works.

It badly needs to be hooked into the PEAR Cache interface
though - since most files in CVS change very rarely, this is
a huge speed boost.

> It's not like Chora was an established application with lots of
> installations, or is it? It hasn't been officially released yet,
> right? I'd get rid of PATH_INFO.

Well, there's the PHP site I guess; might as well lose PATH_INFO

Anil