[chora] luxor / chora

Cynic cynic@mail.cz
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 04:08:20 +0200

At 03:02 8/11/2001, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote the following:
>On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:49:01AM +0200, Cynic wrote:
>>
>> Isn't Perforce a commercial product?
>>

>Yes.  It's still a very very nice RCS though, and we use
>it at work at NetApp, so I'd like to have Chora support it.
>
>Jon was looking at hooking the Perforce API into PHP a
>while back.
>
>> ITMT we could probably prepare Chora for different backends.
>> The Subversion client API isn't stable yet IFAIK, so.. I don't think
>> the development of Chora should be suspended until the release of
>> another software.
>>

>You can't prepare it for different backends.  That implies
>that the backends all expose the same interface ... in reality,
>Subversion is different from Perforce is different from CVS.

Unless you decide that a separate app for each of these RC systems
is a better solution, there's one glue inherent to all RC systems
you might put Chora on top of: Chora itself. IOW, there's a set
of informations Chora needs to display with any RCS on the backend.

$msg = $backend::getCommitMessage()

We don't need the same API in all supported backends, but instead
the same API exposed by the classes interfacing those backends.
"Hide the gory details and just give me what I want."

>I just need to take the time to do a proper comparison and
>figure out if there will be any commonality of UI or not.
>e.g., how do we gracefully degrade to the CVS view?

I don't understand. Do you mean that with an RCS other than CVS
it might not be possible to display e. g. diffs or something?
Could you elaborate?

>Or, it may not be worth the trouble at all; just write different
>apps for these RCS's.
>
>And if we do just stick with CVS, CVSLib isn't too badly
>broken - apart from the lack of references, it works.

I don't know what you're referring to.

>It badly needs to be hooked into the PEAR Cache interface
>though - since most files in CVS change very rarely, this is
>a huge speed boost.

Most probably.

>> It's not like Chora was an established application with lots of
>> installations, or is it? It hasn't been officially released yet,
>> right? I'd get rid of PATH_INFO.
>
>Well, there's the PHP site I guess; might as well lose PATH_INFO

Well, it doesn't seem like it was a huge problem when the old
URLs for cvs.php.net stopped working when Rasmus replaced ViewCVS
with Chora. :) And Chora's been there for only a few days. I don't
think it'd be a problem.

cynic@mail.cz
And the eyes of them both were opened and they saw that their files
were world readable and writable, so they chmoded 600 their files.
    - Book of Installation chapt 3 sec 7