[chora] Adding new language types for enscript

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:14:00 +0000

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:37:01AM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:
>
> > Chuck, I'd like to MFH this into stable - do you mind if I MFH
> > the change for Horde::getTempFile() into Horde RELENG_2 though?
> > It's only an API addition, so it doesnt break back compat.
>
> There's no problem putting it in; however, the dependencies get icky if
> something relies on it; you can no longer say that anything that relies on it
> works with Horde 2.0. If we decide it'd okay for things to rely on different
> minor versions (ie, 2.1, instead of Horde 3.0), then that's fine.

We could go for the shared library model.

An app depends on library version x.y

This means that it works with x.{y+} (any incremental release of y)

So when we version Horde, we'll have to do this:

x.y.z

x == major library number, for API changes
y == minor library number, for API additions
z == age, for bug fixes that dont affect the API

Horde-2.1.0 can therefore include the getTempFile() addition,
so IMP will work with Horde-2.0.0 or greater, while Chora will
depend on Horde-2.1.0 or greater.

Is this too complicated, since we don't have an ld.so to take
care of all the ickiness for us?  It would be easy enough to put
the logic in the horde test harness to make sure versions are
satisfied.

Anil