[chora] chora image diff

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:26:10 -0500

> > * What other mime types besides images can/should we create a special
> > "diff" view for?
>
> Any binary types that we can handle, it seems to me.

I was kind of hoping for more than that... :) Examples of types that might
be reasonable (and fairly easy) to implement?  Binary files that appear
often in Horde might be a good goal, but I'm not sure what there are
except for images and .mo files, and it doesn't seem too realistic to do .mo
files...

I suppose maybe we could *try* to do something with archive types (.zip,
.tar, .rpm, etc) but I'm not sure what meaningful results we could produce
from them, etc.  Same for directories?  Any comments?  Of course, what could
be done would be to port the viewers for these from IMP to Chora...
(Different but related project I guess).  Ideas on any of this?  For example,
would it be worth extracting the "table of contents" or "file listing" from
an archive, and returning the diff of those rather than the actual contents?

What I'd love to see if a diff for common microsoft stuff like .doc, .xls,
.ppt, etc.  Also pdf files.  But I don't think I'm in any position to do
that kind of work.

Anyway, I'll start with images, and see where it goes from there...

> > * Should this best be done in diff.php (like I did) or in CVSLib/Diff.php
> >   instead?
>
> If you can do it in diff.php and have it translate to the Subversion
> backend (when that gets committed) or a future Perforce backend, etc., it
> seems like that'd be a huge win.

Okay, seems like it should stay in diff.php then.  (I really thought you
were going to say to move it to CVSLib though, so it is a good thing I
asked).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage