[chora] 500 Internal Error, CVSROOT not found! .....

Lutz Mischa Heitmüller lmh at syscologne.com
Wed May 5 11:15:23 PDT 2004

Hi List,

I just configured Chora according to a earlier configuration on my
server, but when i
try to use it, it only gives me:
_________________________
*500 Internal Error*
*CVSROOT not found! This could be a misconfiguration by the server
administrator, or the server could be having temporary problems. Please
try again later.
_________________________

The configuration of cvsroots.php looks as follows:

_________________________
$cvsroots['koeln.it'] = array(
    'name' => 'koeln.it',
    'location' => '/var/cvs',
    'title' => 'koeln.it CVS WebDev Repository',
    'cvsusers' => 'CVSROOT/cvsusers',
    'intro' => 'horde-intro.txt'
);
**_________________________

There are two users which have access to the cvs-server:
user 'lmh', group 'lmh'
user 'hhardt', group 'hhardt'
both of them are also member of the group 'cvs'.

The configuration of my CVS-Server: (tree)
# tree -ug cvs/ | more

cvs/
|-- [lmh      cvs     ]  CVSROOT
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  Emptydir
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  checkoutlist
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  checkoutlist,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  commitinfo
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  commitinfo,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  config
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  config,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  cvswrappers
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  cvswrappers,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  history
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  loginfo
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  loginfo,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  modules
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  modules,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  notify
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  notify,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  rcsinfo
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  rcsinfo,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  taginfo
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  taginfo,v
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  val-tags
|   |-- [lmh      cvs     ]  verifymsg
|   `-- [lmh      cvs     ]  verifymsg,v
.
.
.here there are the modules .....!
.
____________________________________

Due to the configuration of the webserver, it is not possible to switch
off php open_basedir,
but I put it inside the list of allowed dirs:
_____________________________
php_admin_flag safe_mode off
php_admin_value open_basedir /var/www/koeln17/:/usr/share/pear/:/var/cvs/
_____________________________

When I had my CVSROOT / repository inside the document_root of the webserver
(/var/www/koeln17/html/CVSROOT) everything worked fine.
This configuration was to insecure, that's why I wanted to change it.

What could be the problem?
Did I misconfigure anything?
There is no usable error in the error-logs of horde, nor in the one of
the webserver.

Thanks for your help,

Lutz Mischa Heitmüller

*