[chora] "Can't check path..."

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sun Nov 12 09:16:56 PST 2006

At 11:49 AM 11/12/2006, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

<CH>>>>>Does the apache user even have a home directory, though? And if
so,  does it have permissions to write to it?<<<<<

Good afternoon, Chuck.

The normal apache home directory, at least on Fedora, is /var/www.  The
apache user didn't have write access to that directory up to now, but I
just made that directory owned by the apache group and group readable and
writeable.  Didn't do any good.

<CH>>>>>Probably the apache user doesn't have read/execute permissions on
/root (which is a good thing, really) so it can't get to the .subversion
dir.<<<<<

So it seems.  I tried making root world readable and writeable and that
fixed the problem (obviously, though, I had to immediately go back and take
away those privileges to the root directory and naturally the problem came
back).

To digress for just a moment... When I made the root directory world
accessible and restarted chora, I got a different error message:

     svn: '/usr/local/svnroot/repos/MyRepo' is not a working copy

I thought the "location" in sourceroots.php was supposed to point to the
repository, not to a working copy.

But, as I said, I digress... and anyway I need to fix the access problem
first, without throwing the root directory open to the apache user.

I suppose I could add the apache user to the root group.  God only knows
what all security holes and vulnerabilities that will open up :-(.  I have
a hard time believing that anything like that is what was intended.

<CH>>>>>What are you using for 'location' in sourceroots.php for the svn
source?<<<<<

/usr/local/svnroot/repos/MyRepo

It is a legal Subversion repository, is owned by the svn group, and that
directory and everything under it is group readable and writeable.  I have
added the apache user to the svn group.