Fwd: Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: [PHP-CVS] cvs: php4 / TODO

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:16:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hmm. This is a potential way to cache IMAP connections - to open them in a
seperate php process which keeps the connection open... I'm not prepared to
implement it, but what do people think of it?

----- Forwarded message from Jacob Verhoeks <jacob@verhoeks.nl> -----
    Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:25:18 +0200
    From: Jacob Verhoeks <jacob@verhoeks.nl>
 Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: [PHP-CVS] cvs: php4 / TODO

Sebastian Bergmann wrote:

> Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> > >     - PHP Application Server
> >
> > What does this entail?
>
>   I'm not an expert here, I'm just chanelling the comments I heard on
the
> PHP Kongress to this list.
>
>   Regarding PHP's lacking Application Server abilities the following
was
> mentioned:
>
>     - Distributed Applications
>     - permanentely running PHP Application, that's not (entirely)
>       http-request driven

We are currently developing such a application server in PHP. It's
called
NeWAS and will be released under GPL soon.

We came across the problem that we had to much code. The new concept we
used to get more speed is described here:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/tips/item.php?id=110
It uses a combination of a cgi php applicaton with sockets and a very
light index.php with apache which connects to the cgi app.

--
= ing. Jacob Verhoeks   = Work +31 299 666 077 = www.nedertux.nl
= Nedertux Technologies = Fax  +31 299 468 903 = www.nedertux.com