[dev] Fwd: Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: [PHP-CVS] cvs: php4 / TODO

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:34:50 +0100

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Hmm. This is a potential way to cache IMAP connections - to open them in a
> seperate php process which keeps the connection open... I'm not prepared to
> implement it, but what do people think of it?

Hmm, it's do-able, but would PHP really be the best choice for this kind
of daemon?

Am I right in saying that the best thing for us is just something
that looks exactly like an IMAP server to talk to, so you
don't pollute IMP's codebase with proxy-specific stuff, and it's entirely
optional.  The proxy should take care of the remote connections and
the headaches involved in keeping them open.

It _could_ be done in PHP I guess, but Perl/C/C++ would generally
give you finer control over threading and forking and stuff I feel.

--
 Anil Madhavapeddy / "I know leetspeek"
 anil@recoil.org   /        "Show0r me"  - http://detonate.net/matrixse