[dev] identities

Gaudenz Steinlin gaudenz.steinlin@id.unibe.ch
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:20:52 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Hagenbuch" <chuck@horde.org>
To: <dev@lists.horde.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [dev] identities

> Other things that could be included: SMTP server to use (now that we'll
have
> SMTP as an option once I can commit to PEAR again...), fullname. etc...
I don't think it would be a good idea to thight SMTP server and identity
together.
IMHO this is a common (eg Outlook Express has the same design) error.
Normally one would choose the SMTP server  based on the ISP he uses.
Not using the providers SMTP server would only work if there are open
mail relays, which normally is not considered a good thing (tm).
This situation could only be changed if SMTP Auth gets widely used.

> Another question is whether you could have a user tie an identity to a
specific
> mailserver. This goes back to the idea of "credentials" that I've been
kicking
> around for a while - a username, password, server name, server type, port,
> folder string, etc - all the information needed to access a mail account.
Or,
> more generally, an account of some kind - ldap server, calendar, mail,
etc.
see above comment on tieing IMAP server to SMTP server

> > I think this would be cool to have in IMP.  A friend of mine said that
> > pine is the only client he knows that does this... it would be cool if
we
> > had it too.
>
> Nah, Mulberry has had it for a while...
and some others too (mutt, Outlook Express)

Gaudenz