[dev] identities

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:34:20 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz.steinlin@id.unibe.ch>:

> I don't think it would be a good idea to thight SMTP server and identity
> together.
> IMHO this is a common (eg Outlook Express has the same design) error.
> Normally one would choose the SMTP server  based on the ISP he uses.
> Not using the providers SMTP server would only work if there are open
> mail relays, which normally is not considered a good thing (tm).
> This situation could only be changed if SMTP Auth gets widely used.

... yeah... it might be good to have the option, in some cases, though...

> see above comment on tieing IMAP server to SMTP server

... where are you going with this? I see the above point, but what's wrong with
letting users say "when I log in to this server, I want to be using this
name/signature/etc."? You can always let them change it, anyway...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Many states consider gambling so immoral that they not only prohibit private