[dev] IMP server preferences

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:42:39 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>:

> How about a 'server' preference that contains either the key of the
> $servers entry or:
>
>     'user|imap.example.com|143|imap|Mail/||example.com|example.com'

Not so bad, but it doesn't map nicely to storing multiple servers...

> Then maybe we should start serializing preference data.  That would
> make a lot of these 'multi' preferences possible at the cost of human
> -readability and -editability.

The issue, of course, is cross-platform/language (mostly language)
compatibility. I'm not necessarily dead set against it, but we might want to
explore the option of requiring wddx so we have a cross-language serializer...
It'd be another non-default php extension, which is a pain, but...

Actually, I'm having an idea now that I need to work out a bit, but might help
us with this and other things... lemme draw up some docs/design... (hint: Horde
User Object Store)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Many states consider gambling so immoral that they not only prohibit private