[core] release cycles

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:17:31 -0400 (EDT)

[I'm moving this to dev@ since it's getting into that realm. FYI, we're
discussing a possible release of 2.3, and what needs to happen before it can be
a public release.]

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> An optional status bar system somewhere in the design would be
> great - reason I ask for this is that my IMAP proxy is actually
> getting somewhere.  Since I was loath to use c-client, a friend is
> actually writing a lightweight, IMAP-only client library, and
> I've started writing the proxy that uses it in C++.

Cool!

> But if I'm not mistaken, having persistent connections would
> give us the capability of using the IMAP ALERT/ERROR stacks.

... possibly. If your proxy was really smart about handling them. Ie, it'd have
to save them up, and then send them along when the client connected again.
That's for alerts - the error stack is php-side, and just saves up errors that
happen in the course of a request.

> Don't these include new mail alerts, for some servers?

Possibly - also quota warnings, for Cyrus at least.

> Anyway, a status bar to stick messages in the UI would easily
> allow this kind of thing as well as show errors.

I think a status bar, between the menu bar and the rest of the UI, that appears
when there are errors or other messages, would be a good call. Any objections?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Many states consider gambling so immoral that they not only prohibit private