[dev] RE: [core] release cycles

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:41:02 +0100

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Yeah. It's starting to look like getting a 2.3/2.4 candidate out
> the door would be a pretty significant undertaking. So: it seems
> to me either we feature freeze (for major things, anyway) 2.3 at
> this point and start working towards resolving these issues, or
> we let 2.3 go on for a bit more - maybe still concentrating on
> these issues, but letting other features develop too, with a more
> relaxed schedule.

I'd personally vote for a feature-freeze, and tighten up all the
stuff that needs to be done for a release.  The thing is, every
single person that's seen 2.3 has wanted to use it over 2.2, with
great enthusiasm!

The stuff like identities would need a fair bit of work to do;
a Horde login wouldn't be an unreasonable requirement before that.
How about releasing 2.4, and then saving the global Horde glue
until the 2.5 tree?

I don't really mind either way though - it's just a pity to hide
such a great product away in unstable CVS :-)

--
 Anil Madhavapeddy / "I told you not to flush that!"
 anil@recoil.org   /    Stern Lecture Plumbing