[dev] Re: ignoring the url generation bug in imp

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:25:07 -0500

Quoting Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>:

> Oh. So php does, by default, not work with browsers that use ";" as the
> arg seperator? This is really strange.

Huh? Since when does a browser specify the argument separator? And:

> Indeed. I didn't expect that php itself goes against the html standard.
> Thanks for the info ;)

You said yourself that the HTML 4 spec only recommends using ";". Given
that php has to choose one separator as the default, and the fact that '&' is
perfectly valid _server side_ where php lives - the entities are only
translated by the browser, and the server - php - never even sees them;
even if you look in the status bar, you'll see &foo=bar, not &amp;foo=bar.
Combine that with the fact that the recommendation to use ";" is only as of
HTML 4, and the fact that people have been writing CGIs and scripts that
use & for years, and the decision to use "&" by default not only doesn't
violate any standards but makes perfect sense.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the chicken!" - Baby Blues