[dev] design goals for 1.3/2.3

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:09:10 -0500

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> >
> > 2. let's wrap every function that doesn't live inside a single page
> > inside one class or another. we don't need a seperate file for
> > every single class, but encapsulation is good - it keeps our
> > namespace small, and it makes it easier to figure out where things
> > live/what they are associated with/what they do.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the first bit - do you mean wrap every
> function inside the main .php files that are duplicated across more
> than one page, or every function in there ?

I mean: every function that is in a lib/ file should be in a class. Things like
serverString() should become IMP::serverString() (or IMP_util::serverString() -
organization can be discussed). And obviously, anything that's in more than one
script should be moved to a lib file instead of being in two places.

> > 3. modify the files that use javascript to include their javascript
> > first. right now, if you interrupt a page like the compose window
> > from loading, you might get all the html, but the javascript won't
> > have finished, resulting in errors.
>
> Sounds good, that annoys me no end when I'm on a modem!

Okay. I'll get to this eventually, but other work is great, too. =)

> > 4. Comments! Cleanup! Documentation! =)
> >

> Eek! ;)

Heh heh. =)

> Would it be an idea to really separate Horde and IMP this time around?
> Given that we could potentially make new releases of Kronolith, WHUPS, etc
> in the lifecycle of 1.3.x/2.3.x, it may be good to separate them a bit more
> discretely than they are at the moment.

Certainly. What do people think this entails? The first thing that comes to
mind for me is some API stability in Horde, but I'm wondering what other people
consider important here...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the chicken!" - Baby Blues