[dev] Images in CVS; postgres persistent connections

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:05:13 -0500

orOn Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 11:05:03AM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch (chuck@horde.org) wrote:
> Quoting Rich Lafferty <rich@horde.org>:
>
> > Good stuff. Should I read deeply into the snippage of the Postgres
> > persistent-connection problem as an "I dunno"? :-)
>
> Yes.

Well, *drat*. I've taken out the other call to pg_pconnect and
replaced it with one to pg_connect and it *appears* to work fine in
short tests, but I'm hesitant to put it under load to see what
breaks. :-/ I'll try to give it a shot on our production box sometime
next week, and see what happens from there.

Unrelated: I just generated some figures the other day as to usage on
our IMP setup, and to my surprise it's still increasing mostly
linearly as it has been since rollout. This got me thinking about the
questions on the mailing list along the lines of "I'm thinking of
rolling out IMP for N users, with such-and-such hardware, will that be
enough?" and also of the number of hits one gets for a web search for
"Welcome to IMP". From this, I picture two webpages at the Horde site:
one with a handful of volunteered descriptions of hardware setups for
N users, and another with a plain list of who's using IMP, like
<URL:http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/customers.shtml>. I dunno
how easy it'll be to generate the information... comments?

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services