[dev] Status of new mail alert from inbox?

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:37:32 +0000

Quoting Michael Bull <mbull@uoguelph.ca>:

> However, I think checking the mail in the folder that you're in --
> particular when that is the INBOX -- is something that the common
> user will want; and the common user is a main target audience of
> webmail products IMHO.

For some reason I'm not a fan of the idea, now that we've lost
frames.  In 2.2, it was a very unobtrusive, small window that
refreshed itself, and took very little bandwidth.  Now if we do the
same, the entire mailbox has to be reloaded often, even if there is
no new mail.

However, a number of other people have mentioned it to me as well
(probably the number one feature request among the people I've seen
using 2.3 actually)

> How would you see it cluttered?  I'm not sure how often in the navigator
> people will need to change their refresh time beyond a default they set,
> and "now".

Not very often.  I'd probably be inclined to move the refresh time into
the options menu, and apply it uniformly to the navigator and mailboxes.

What do other people think of uniform refreshing across mailbox/navigator?

I've got a lot on the plate at the moment though, and am developing
across a modem atm, so if someone else wants to get to it before the
year ends, feel free :)

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>