[dev] Status of new mail alert from inbox?

Michael Bull mbull@uoguelph.ca
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:27:59 -0500

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> Quoting Michael Bull <mbull@uoguelph.ca>:
>
> I did think about putting it in everywhere, but the way I personally
> use 2.3 is to sit in the navigator, letting it refresh and pop up new
> mail, instead of the INBOX.
>
> This could be because very few of my new mails actually go into my INBOX,
> due to extreme mail filtering.

True; with the bulk of our community, I expect most won't be having procmail
doing filter, and as such will be recieving their mail in their INBOX; waiting
in your inbox for new mail to arrive is something they've learned from Outlook
Express, Netscape, and even venerable ole Pine.

I can see what your describing as very useful; I use Eudora as my main mail
client, and I find myself having to click resync on my imap folders that are
being procmail filtered when I want to check-up on them.

However, I think checking the mail in the folder that you're in -- particular
when that is the INBOX -- is something that the common user will want; and the
common user is a main target audience of webmail products IMHO.

> Adding a refresh option to the INBOX may not be a bad idea, but it
> would clutter up what is a very neat interface in the mailbox view
> at the moment, and duplicate functionality from the navigator.

How would you see it cluttered?  I'm not sure how often in the navigator people
will need to change their refresh time beyond a default they set, and "now".
Perhaps a better way to do this is to move the default refresh time into the
preferences for folders, add refresh now to navigator, have a preference for
using the refresh in navigator, perhaps.... and things would be set and clean?

I don't mean to sound like I'm complain or expecting people to do work; just
wanting to see what people want as I'd rather avoid doing local hacks on things
if I can, especially if they're a reason they were avoided?

Just my $0.02 in good faith....

> Do you
> have any objections to simply sitting in the navigator waiting for
> new mail?

Only that it's not very intuitive and is very difference from other mail
clients that people would be used to -- but I agree that for those doing lots
of filtering at delivery time, what's been done to navigator is a very valued
added feature for the power user.

Mike.