[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: whups

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:47:30 -0500

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> b) DB Cache: the viewer is an incredibly good target for caching,
>    given that RCS files in a repository change relatively rarely,
>    and parsing them is very expensive.  Just checking the file
>    timestamp and serializing the CVSLib_file object would speed
>    up something like the IMP repository a _lot_.

It might be time to design a generic Cache:: system. Jonah needs something like
this as well - a way to only fetch data from an rss file on another site when
we don't have it or it's out of date - and it should be possible to store a
serialized object (or other representation - type information might be good),
timestamp, etc., in a generic backend (filesystem, db, etc.). We'd need a
namespace-like standard for naming things, but that should be doable...

Actually, this could just be a specialized application of the Horde object
store that I mentioned a while ago. Hmmm... :) Thoughts?

> (Point b is probably taken care off by DB:: in PEAR now)

Hmm? Am I missing something?

> Now, given that WHUPS will certainly require Horde sooner or
> later (as we'd hope, given that it's a Horde module!), we
> could either split off the CVS viewer into a separate module
> of its own, and release it as a simple script, or just integrate
> it fully now.

It's up to you; my impression is that doing the former would not preclude doing
the latter, it'd just mean forking things (and some extra work to keep
everything in sync, if such an effort was made).

> Horde is a hell of a lot simpler to install these days since
> we lost PHPLIB, so I don't think it's _that_ much of a problem,
> except for 'hard to install' reputation we've garnered, but
> we'll just have to shake that off with IMP 2.4 :)

Yes. And to work on more tools to make it even friendlier. Speaking of which,
has anyone seen the stuff I've been slowly working at for detecting if you have
all the conf files, and giving you messages if you don't? If people like them,
I'll go forward with making sure all modules have them. Also, I don't think
that giving names of conf files is a security problem - it's easily obtainable
information, and I'm not giving any paths - but I'd be interested in comments
from that perspective, also.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the chicken!" - Baby Blues