[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: whups

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:52:54 +0000

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 12:47:30AM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> > (Point b is probably taken care off by DB:: in PEAR now)
>
> Hmm? Am I missing something?

I knew I forgot to mention something - I just ran into Mozilla's
bonsai project, which already defines a fairly decent SQL schema
for retrieving meta data from a repository, such as 'all commits
by chuck on this date' - http://mozilla.org/bonsai.html

If we adopt something like this, we would work with existing
bonsai installs, instead of re-inventing the wheel.  This would
largely render a cacheing system for this aspect of WHUPS
redundant.  Although, btw, the first thought that did go through
my mind when I thought of caching was back to that HUOS (sic?)
that came up some time back :)

> > Now, given that WHUPS will certainly require Horde sooner or
> > later (as we'd hope, given that it's a Horde module!), we
> > could either split off the CVS viewer into a separate module
> > of its own, and release it as a simple script, or just integrate
> > it fully now.
>
> It's up to you; my impression is that doing the former would
> not preclude doing the latter, it'd just mean forking things
> (and some extra work to keep everything in sync, if such an
> effort was made).

True, but forking and keeping everything in sync would be a
pain, and if I had to choose, I'd choose the 'installing Horde'
route, if only to push it out there more as a evangelism thing,
and because it's the 'right' thing to do compared to not reusing
code.

> > Horde is a hell of a lot simpler to install these days since
> > we lost PHPLIB, so I don't think it's _that_ much of a problem,
> > except for 'hard to install' reputation we've garnered, but
> > we'll just have to shake that off with IMP 2.4 :)
>
> Yes. And to work on more tools to make it even friendlier.
> Speaking of which, has anyone seen the stuff I've been slowly
> working at for detecting if you have all the conf files, and
> giving you messages if you don't?

It's been flying by, but I haven't checked it out yet.  Will
do so soon; I've got to do that patch to allow those javascript
popups for new mail to work outside the navigator.

Anil