[dev] thoughts on the prefs problem

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:20:35 -0500

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 05:09:24PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> How about instead (along with the "override prefs" checkbox)
> defining a "session" prefs driver, that stores preferences in the
> php4 session and thus lets you have prefs that only last the length
> of the session?

That's a good idea.  Ideally, however, all of the preference drivers
should use session storage for their data.  In my latest revision of
the preferences code, I didn't optimize the entire process.  Every
page load retrieves the user's preferences from storage.  This could
all be streamlined so that it will only contact the preference storage
when necessary.

I did optimize the "write" action, however, but there's really no need
to retrieve the full preferences set on every load when we're already
pulling session data.

I'll try and work on cleaning this up over the next couple of days.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology