[dev] LDAP preference storage with 2.3

Michael Bull mbull@uoguelph.ca
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:59:45 -0500

Thanks Jon! Just a couple questions.

>$conf['prefs']['params']['uid'] = 'uid';

 From the look of your file, you've got IMP using the main LDAP system of
your university, correct?

We're looking at that, but we're likely going to run it with it's own
context until we're happy with how things work, then integrate it with the
main LDAP service.   I'm not an LDAP expert, however I'm the point person
for webmail so my aim it to get things running in our test environment and
then let the LDAP experts worry about the nitty gritty of the production
LDAP server.  :)

Could you explain the uid setting?  Is the object container to which to add
the IMP object to?  If so, does it matter if those objects don't exist?
The rootdn is just the rootdn where the username/password that is bound to
ldap is allowed to create the objects, right?

>$conf['prefs']['params']['username'] = '';
>$conf['prefs']['params']['password'] = '';

... and I assume this is just a username and password to bind to ldap with,
and the names were changed to protect the innocent? :)

>Yes, many attributes are missing from the example schema.  I've been
>remiss in keeping it up-to-date with the changes to config/prefs.php.

Once we've got it up here, I'll send you an updated schema.

>  > Any hints or pointers would be great; I'm happy to submit a patch with
> the
> > updates to the schema as this moves on (I notice it hasn't changed since
> > June, unless someone has gotten to it more recently than my CVS...).
>
>That would be very helpful.  Also, if you come across any problems or
>efficiency issues with the current LDAP preferences code, I'd be glad
>to address them.

Excellent.  Will keep you updated.

Mike.