[dev] frames version

Michael Bull mbull@uoguelph.ca
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:20:36 -0500

At 10:30 AM 22/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Radically altering the user interface of an application should not be
>a user option. Consider how one would go about documenting something
>when a user can flick a switch and suddenly have an application almost
>entirely unlike the one which they were just using. Consider further
>the user that flicks the switch accidentally.

Same problem that exists in most applications.  The side panels in the
desktop clients can be removed as well.

>If Atif chooses to maintain his patches (and I think Chuck might help
>on that) then you'll have the option of using the alternate interface,
>but IMP cannot be all things to all people without being weaker in all
>the areas it tries to cover.

If the patches work than having it as a lockable user configuration is
reasonable.  However.... adding this to be maintained may not be the best
place in how IMP is developing right now.   I'm leaving this decision to
Chuck et al.   At least with patches, they can concentrate on the key tasks
of 2.3 development and work out the 3-pane patch when they feel it fits into
the development stream the best.