[Fwd: [dev] Re: [core] IMP frames/frameless]

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:49:57 -0500

Quoting Atif Ghaffar <aghaffar@developer.ch>:

> By the way, "Dont give too much options to users, they are dumb" isnt
> that what M$ is all about?

No.

As much as I would like to see Open Source software become dominant, simply
throwing away everything that comes out of Microsoft _because_ it is from
Microsoft is silly. They actually do put a lot of money into R&D.

Just because someone comes up with a flawed implementation of an idea doesn't
mean that the idea is flawed. (if your response to this is "communism never
works in practice", then you're missing my point)

Simplicity is a fundamental part of good human interface design. I'm not always
good at it, but it's something that we should aim for. Just because Microsoft
hasn't always made good decisions about _what_ to hide from users (button
toolbars are a hideously unintuitive interface, for example, and also the
opposite of simplicity), doesn't mean that the idea of presenting the user with
as few options as possible is a bad one. It should just remind us that it's
something that deserves careful thought, and that we need to keep in mind.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Entropy. It's what's for dinner.