[dev] Help subsystem

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:18:16 -0500

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> I'm going to have a look at this after I finish the next round of
> Chora features; I'm interested in hooking in all these different XML
> schemas we have (PHPDoc, Help, the docs module) into a more integrated
> solution with XSLT, so that we just maintain one set of help files, and
> they get transformed into the relevant formats (html, pdf, windows help,
> etc)

Sounds great, though I'm having a little trouble seeing how all of it will tie
together - the application help (the popups from IMP) seem pretty seperate from
the stuff that I imagine going into the docs/ module...?

> I imagine it would be somewhat useful for PEAR as well.  The problem
> is the lack of good non-Java XSLT transformers.  Sablotron 0.50 has some
> pretty bad cross-platform problems atm due to its use of some wchar_t
> stuff which doesnt have wide support yet, but once that works out, its
> looking like a very strong package indeed for us to use.

The latest php4-cvs sablotron module seems to be much more stable than it used
to be (at least on my debian box; I haven't yet gritted it out and figured out
how to compile with VC++ on win2k)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>