imp/templates/menu/menu.inc (was main.inc)

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:36:12 -0600 (CST)

It looks like sometime between 2.2.3 and 2.2.4, this CVS archive file was
renamed from main.inc to menu.inc?  (Perhaps for HEAD's benefit?)  If I
have that right, just wanted to raise this issue, because I don't agree
with that approach when released code (STABLE_2_2) is involved.

(a)  I'm of the opinion that archive files should never be deleted or
renamed, because if you do you can't go back in time and regenerate the
exact content of a previous release.  I think the old file should be
attic'ed and its content created as the initial revision of a new file
(new CVS archive).  This causes a break in the CVS log (history), which is
unfortunate, but I think it's a price worth paying.

(b)  Our release tarball script doesn't handle this case, and I'm not sure
how it could easily be made to handle it automatically.  As a result we
would have to keep track of CVS archive files renamed/deleted and plan to
handle them at the next release for all maintained branches... manual
handling is a pain, and risky.

(c)  There's no audit trail when you rename/delete out in the file system;
no one knows it happened unless it's mentioned.

I wish CVS allowed for revisioned renaming.  :-)  Other thoughts?  Tx.