[dev] FreeBSD package?

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 15:32:55 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Rich Lafferty <rich@horde.org> wrote:

> The problem, apparently, is making sure that PHP is compiled with the
> proper options. (I hope that makes you go "Oh! Right!" because I'm not
> sure offhand exactly what the scope of the problem is.) In other
> words, dependency tree weirdness.

...and, in general, I've seen few applications that approach the number of
dependencies IMP has; that's why the RPM README gets so complex, let alone
the instructions for compiling from tarballs.

> I suppose we get around this in RPMs by supplying our own PHP, right?

Yes; although I try to stay as close to the Red Hat version as possible,
it seems like there has always been at least one thing we need that the
stock version doesn't supply (MySQL support, patches, etc.).  Also, with
RPMs it's desirable to break a package up into smaller units so that
administrators can decide which pieces they want.  PHP with all its shared
modules (IMAP, LDAP, etc.) lends itself well to this.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>