[Alertbox: Are Users Stupid? (fwd)]

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:16:14 -0500

Prety interesting ...

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology

An embedded message was scrubbed...
From: alertbox@nngroup.com (Jakob Nielsen)
Subject: Alertbox: Are Users Stupid?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:27:09 -0600
Size: 2415

Date: Mon,  5 Feb 2001 14:42:03 -0500
From: rectrix@rectrix.cx
To: dev@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [dev] problems with horde/lib/Prefs/LDAP.php

Quoting Michael Bull <mbull@uoguelph.ca>:
> if you set the username and password to '', it will do just that.

When setting preferences, yes.

Jon - something to keep in mind as you continue to refine the LDAP prefs - When
the prefs are retrieved it is done via anonymous bind.  If the prefs are only
available via non-anonymous bind (as mine are) then they can be set but are
never retrieved.

Of course, setting $this->connect(false) to $this->connect(true) in the retrieve
function gets around this.

I'm not sure where you want to change this - that's why I'm merely pointing out
the issue.
The connect function looks to see if it could get the DN via anon bind, but that
doesn't mean the prefs are also available that way.  I don't think you want to
check if each pref is anonymously readable.  Perhaps a conf setting to force
non-anonymous bind? That's not very elegant however.

-Tim