[dev] Re: Thoughts:

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:31:03 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> The thing is, in this simple case, there's no need for a server at
> all, and not having one makes things simpler if the server name
> changes for some reason.

Centrally-configured, in other words?  Agreed.

> And to authenticate with Auth_IMAP, you need to know the name of an
> IMAP or POP server, which you don't necessarily know given
> user@server. Inside the context of IMP, you probably do, but not
> outside.

Yeah, my thinking was that it reduces to user@imapserver in the simple
case so that you do know the IMAP server; but I have abandoned this
idea... I think you're right.  It should come from the site configuration
in the simple case.

> If a site is managing their own Horde users, there's nothing to _keep_
> them from using user@server style usernames, but there's also no
> reason to require them, I think.

Agreed; that makes sense.  [Now that I've had some sleep.  :-)  My
thinking was very muzzy last night.]

I really like the idea of providing actual Horde users, yet using
Auth_IMAP to give simple sites the ability to ignore them.