[dev] 2.3.x installer

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:12:53 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu> wrote:

> I kind of prefer the current "configuration" system: copy *.php.dist
> to *.php and edit with your favorite text editor.  It's simple and
> platform independent.

Yes, with those great comment blocks in front of each entry.  I agree that
this should remain the bottom-line, fundamental way to configure things.

I was musing that someone could write a perl script (or even a PHP script)
that made the process interactive by presenting the comment block from the
.dist, asking the question, possibly even guessing and validating the
data, etc. for people that prefer a "wizard".

The key, for me, is that I hope we can end up with a system where the
description of each config. setting is in just one place.  The reality is
that if you have to add new settings to the config. file, and the install
wizard(s), and the documentation, then things fall out of sync.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Thu,  8 Feb 2001 18:09:34 -0500
> The key, for me, is that I hope we can end up with a system where the
> description of each config. setting is in just one place.  The reality is
> that if you have to add new settings to the config. file, and the install
> wizard(s), and the documentation, then things fall out of sync.

Yes. This _killed_ setup.php3 - it's really horribly out of date.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"My intuitive grasp of math often leads me astray." -Me