[dev] 2.3.x Installer

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 01:17:15 -0500

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 09:38:43PM -0800, Max Kalika (max@the-triumvirate.net) wrote:

> Sorry Brent, I accidentally deleted your message in regards to
> making a setup.exe.  AFAIK, there is no way to convert a perl script
> to a stand alone .exe file.

There is; Activestate sells it.

> However, if our setup.pl script can be
> made generic enough and uses just core perl, would it be a problem
> to include perl.exe, perl56.dll and setup.bat files into a .ZIP
> distribution package?

Eek, no! Then you get two cases. In one, you've installed Perl on
someone's system without the core libraries guaranteed to be installed
along with Perl, and more importantly without the documentation
guaranteed to be installed along with Perl. In the other, you've
installed a second Perl onto someone's system with all of the usual
risks of version conflicts and so forth.

While a sh- or Perl-based Configure seems appropriate for Unix, it
doesn't seem so for Windows. Perhaps there's a Windows developer out
there that knows InstallShield and is willing to donate some time?

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services