[dev] 2.3.x installer

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:25:01 -0500

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 12:29:54PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> > At the top of the .dist file, we might define the "necessary"
> > parameters that the initial installation script should display:
> >
> > // These configuration values must be set in the initial configuration:
> > //
> > //  required {
> > //      majorname1:minorname1, majorname1:minorname2,
> > //      majorname2:minorname1, majorname2:minorname2
> > //  }
> >
> > ... where that would translate to $conf['majorname1']['minorname1'].
>
> This part doesn't seem quite right; with the current conf scheme all parameters
> are required, except for cases like prefs, logs or connection tracking where
> disabling the feature makes other specific options unnecessary. So it seems
> like there should be an "only-if" option, or something like that, that
> enables/disables a group of prefs based on a single boolean pref.

True.  But what I was getting at was that we really only need to ask
the user about a few variables (that are required) for a quick initial
installation.  After that, the installation script would work with the
full set of configuration values.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Fri,  9 Feb 2001 14:28:50 -0500
> True.  But what I was getting at was that we really only need to ask
> the user about a few variables (that are required) for a quick initial
> installation.  After that, the installation script would work with the
> full set of configuration values.

Gotcha - so we should have a few variables flagged as "always-ask" or something
similar, so that the initial install gives you mostly the defaults?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"My intuitive grasp of math often leads me astray." -Me