[dev] Ulaform: HTML form generation with PHP

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:49:49 -0600

Quoting "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@horde.org>:

> I think I have the beginnings of a new Horde module here.  :-)
>
> Our webmaster is getting a growing number of requests for HTML forms for
> feedback and the like.  The requests come from departments that don't have
> CGI script writers, and our webmaster doesn't have time to keep up with
> writing these.  We've explored FrontPage (and the server extensions, which
> can do form generation), but there are... "issues", and I would rather not
> go that route.

While I'm sure the program you're working on will eventually be quite
fully-featured, I solved this problem for the few webmasters around here with a
simple solution.  I have a generic perl cgi script that steps through all of the
data entered and spits it to sendmail, in alphabetical order.  That's probably a
no-brainer to anyone that wants to do this; where I made it somewhat
configurable is that it checks for a hidden form variable field (well, it
doesn't have to be hidden, but you don't want the user to input a destination
email address for the script :) ) that includes the destination email address.
So two departments can have form pages, each with a different hidden destination
address, the same script parses the input from both of them, and the data
arrives in the correct mailbox.  Of course, this makes for pretty generic form
email when someone gets the end results.  It ends up being a simple list of data
fields and their values.

..Keith

Keith A. Chayer                                         Baptist Bible College
Network Technician                                         Springfield, MO
           .--.
 ::\`--._,'.::.`._.--'/::      "Ready?  For 800 years have I trained Jedi.
 ::::.  ` __::__ '  .::::      My own council will I keep on who is ready."