[dev] thoughts on the prefs problem

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:39:27 -0500

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:18:17AM -0600, Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

> However, preference caching is really orthogonal to preference
> persistence, isn't it?  Whoever made the above comment was asking for
> preferences that last only the duration of one session (like a temporary
> override); is there a way to mark preferences such that they aren't kept
> when the session ends?

No, not currently.  I'm debating whether it's a good idea to add such
a flag or to expand the preferences system a bit more so that the
source of each preference is definable.

The sample problem listed in the original message could be solve by
marking some preferences as being stored in an SQL database
(persistent) and some preferences as being stored using the Session
preference driver (persistent only for the life of the session).

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology