[cvs] commit: horde/config html.php.dist imp folders.php imp/config html.php.dist troll newsgroups.php troll/config html.php.dist troll/templates/newsgroups head.inc row.inc

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:55:02 -0500

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 04:45:37AM -0000, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>   Modified files:
>     config               html.php.dist
>     .                    folders.php
>     config               html.php.dist
>     .                    newsgroups.php
>     config               html.php.dist
>     templates/newsgroups head.inc row.inc
>   Log:
>   - fix things so that the newsgroup browser alternates row colors
>   - move the alternating row colors into horde's html config, and up the contrast a bit
>   - fix an indentation problem with the newsgroup browser

I've noticed a lot of our commits span multiple cvs modules.  The
above is an example of a commit that hits a lot of code with a common
log message.  I don't think this is the best practice.

To prevent myself from doing this, I editing horde/CVS/Entries and
removed all of the directory entries for the Horde applications that I
have checked out.  This stops cvs from traversing the entire hierarchy
and forces me to commit (and update) on a per-application basis.

Not only does this confine commits to a single cvs "entity", but it
also enforces the mindset that we're actually dealing with separate
code trees.  I find that last point exceptionally important when we
consider the 'horde' tree is common, shared code.  Changes to it
should not be grouped with application-specific changes.

Well, back to reading more software engineering articles.  This was a
pretty-good read, btw:

    http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010119/warden_01.htm

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology