[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/config mime_drivers.php ...

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:06:52 +0100

Quoting Rich Lafferty <rich@horde.org>:

> I hate to complain, mostly because it's been months since I've
> contributed a single line of code, but when I see "MIME_Magic" I
> assume that it's going to be using magic numbers, not extensions
> (since that's what "magic" refers to when talking about file types).

Well, the idea is that it uses whatever means available to determine the MIME
type of the file.  Right now it's very crude: it just depends on the extension,
but I want to extend this to include the use of the 'file' command, or
mod_mime_magic from Apache if it is available to do the same thing.

There have also been mutterings on php-dev about a PHP MIME extension - Chuck
would probably know more about this; right now some portions of lib/MIME do
depend on the IMAP extension, which is unfortunate.

> Perhaps something like MIME_Ext or MIME_FileExt would be more apropos?
> I only suggest it because at some point we might want to actually
> *use* magic to determine file types..

With the above in mind, any objections to MIME_Magic?  The above are too
specific to file extensions, which is exactly what the module is meant to avoid.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>