[dev] I/O hammering (was: imp folder prefix)

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 30 May 2001 08:20:15 +0100

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> 1). Just cache the whole message list
> 2). Cache the headers, too, while we're at it.

How can we check for freshness in case of external changes though?  I
think Outlook retrieves all the headers in a single sequence and then
compares them right?  Hmm, but they have the advantage that they only do
this every time the user does a 'send and recieve' and not every time a
message is viewed.

> We can also drop the imap_fetchstructure(); I'm not sure
> how tied to it people  are, but it seems like it'd be a pretty
> significant performance boost. All of these together might _really_
> crank things up.

I think this should be an option - the code is already there to show the
icons, they are pretty useful, and many people prefer features over
performance if they are just using the webmail on a small scale.

Anil