[dev] I/O hammering (was: imp folder prefix)

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 30 May 2001 10:20:23 -0400

Quoting Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>:

> How can we check for freshness in case of external changes though?  I
> think Outlook retrieves all the headers in a single sequence and then
> compares them right?  Hmm, but they have the advantage that they only do
> this every time the user does a 'send and recieve' and not every time a
> message is viewed.

We have a few options - only check on refresh (manual or timed), etc... we can
figure something out. We manage only refreshing the folder list on certain
events now...

> I think this should be an option - the code is already there to show the
> icons, they are pretty useful, and many people prefer features over
> performance if they are just using the webmail on a small scale.

Okay - we also might be able to get almost as much information from the headers
(if we can get a content-type header especially).

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Black and white and grey, all the shades of truth.