[dev] License discussion

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:01:57 -0400

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 03:48:25PM +0200, Jan Schneider (janmailing@gmx.de) wrote:

> By chance I heard about some conflicts between Richard Stallman from
> FSF and Ulrich Drepper (glibc maintainer) that already made some
> open source projects switch to other licenses.
>
> As I don't have much knowledge about all these open source licenses
> I just want to start a discussion if this is something we should
> think about.

Well, I thought about it, and changing licenses because Stallman and
Drepper have had a conflict seems absurd. Was there something /in/ the
GPL and LGPL that makes think we should think about changing licenses?

That said, with the number of major contributors rising pretty
quickly, it might be worthwhile investigating copyright assignments.
GNU's take on that is at

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!