[dev] License discussion

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:03:34 -0400

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:59:15PM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy (anil@recoil.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 03:48:25PM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> > By chance I heard about some conflicts between Richard Stallman from FSF and
> > Ulrich Drepper (glibc maintainer) that already made some open source projects
> > switch to other licenses.
> >
> > As I don't have much knowledge about all these open source licenses I
> > just want to start a discussion if this is something we should think about.
>
> We have too many external patches to allow us to switch licenses,
> even if we wanted to (unless only people in the copyright headers
> count?)

IANAL, but the usual key phrase is "a significant amount of code"; a
one-line patch isn't a problem, but a class or function probably would
be, and a module certainly is.

(This, by the way, is the problem that copyright assignment solves.)

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!