[dev] License discussion

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:27:13 -0400

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 03:14:42PM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy (anil@recoil.org) wrote:

> I have no problems with switching Chora to the modified BSD
> license.  Changing Horde would be great, as well.

I'm pretty neutral on the GPL -- I don't like it so much to fight a
change, but I don't dislike it enough to initiate one -- but if we're
going to think about changing, I'd like to see some comments as to
/why/ we'd want to change.

For example, switching Chora -- what is it about the GPL that you want
to get rid of, and what is it about the modified BSD license that you
think solves the problem?

For what it's worth, I'm fond of the Apache license's naming clause --
that you can't use the name "Apache" for derived works -- because I
think keeping tabs on the name is an important thing for a project
with the mindshare we've been able to accumulate.

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!