[dev] horde framework

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:46:28 -0400

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 08:54:40PM -0700, Lucas Rockwell wrote:

> I have imp working well -- in that I can log into my IMAP server, check mail, etc. But what I really want is to log into horde and then be "in" imp. If I authenticate with horde I then have access to turba without having to log in again. However, I do have to log into imp still to check my mail. I want to be able to log into horde (using postgres as the authentication method) and then be able to check my mail with imp without logging into the imap server. Can this be done?

No, not entirely.  Because your mail exists on the IMAP server,
you will always have to log into it in order to use IMP.

Now, assuming the IMAP server uses the same passwords that exist
in the PostgreSQL database, it may soon be possible for you to
log into Horde, have the Horde framework remember your password,
and have IMP use that password to authenticate you when logging
in to the IMAP server.  That will save you from entering your
username and password at an IMP login prompt (which is what I
think you want to do).

Chuck made some big steps toward this goal just a few days ago,
but I'm not sure whether all of the pieces are now in place for
it to work as I suggest in the previous paragraph.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)