[dev] Windows Address Book Import

Mike Coughlan mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:32:50 -0500

Thanks for the reply. To the Turba dev team:

IMP was one of the tools we used to eliminate MS Exchange. The other was
OpenLDAP set up as a central rolodex.  We still use Outlook - other mail
clients are either too buggy or would cost additional money.  Unfortunately,
Outlook did not like the inetOrgPerson LDAP attributes. The OpenLDAP FAQ
pointed us to these instead:

http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=outlook&file=294

So, our sad solution was to clone attributes to both match both Outlook and
inetOrgPerson class structures. The benefit is that our LDAP rolodex is
searchable and readable from Outlook for such items as addresses, phone
numbers, and notes as if it were in the address book, as described in the
URL above.