[dev] Time/billing system

Mike Coughlan mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:28:26 -0500

Hi Jan,

> I agree that the great problem with time tracking software is that users
> forget to track there time. We used achievo here in my company but it's
> quite dead now because people doesn't use it actually.

Great, then would you also agree that a good and convient UI is one of the
most important requirements?

> This is why I like the way time tracking is handled by PHProjekt
> (http://www.phprojekt.com). I had the chance to be at a
> presentation of the
> author on the php concference.

Maybe it's just what I am used to, but I still prefer the interface of
journyX.  The concept of entering begining and ending times is unfriendly
and without value, unless we want report on what time of day people are
working on things.

> We agreed in the Horde team that we have to put more focus on
> group support
> e.g. group calendars. If we can get Horde so far that is becomes the main
> tool while in office (as replacement for Outlook/Exchange or
> similar tools)
> the chances are that users actually will use the time tracking feature.

I disagree - there is strong demand right now for a timesheet tool
regardles.  We dumped Exchange and use Meeting Maker, Linux IMAP, IMP, LDAP
for a public rolodex, and journyX for our timesheet.   We would gladly
atomically remove journyX at any time to avoid more liscensing fees.  We
don't use a ticketing system or task assignment tool.  Email is handling
that well.

> But time tracking doesn't make much sense without project
> assingment. So a project manager should also be discussed here and kept in
mind to be
> implemented as a Horde module.

Why do you say this? I would not try to assist companies on their work flow,
process, or ticketing yet.  These can be sacred areas, difficult to
penetrate.

And don't forget that there are many bloated tools that offer this as well.
CleacCase version management is one example - everyone hated it because it
tried to do task assignment.  We are ditching it for CVS. Bugzilla also
wants to do this, as do helpdesk systems.

I strongly reccomend an intial implementation that simply accepts hours and
allows privlidged users to report on them every which way under the sun to
make important financial decisions.

Again, I would not focus on the project manager as the customer, but rather
the accountants. They are the ones who read the data, and they could care
less about task assignment.

I would also suggest that we look at commercial systems for ideas, and not
opensource code.  I will attempt to install the JournyX demo in our DMZ.  It
seems to me that some of the base Kronolith code may be recycled for a
interface that is similar.

Thanks for soliciting for input, and the reply.

MC