CVS repository changes

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:09:56 -0500

Okay, as you've probably noticed, I've made some serious changes
to the way we work in cvs.

First, I adoped the FreeBSD approach of a "stable" tree and a
"development" tree (here on refered to as STABLE and HEAD).

Horde 2 is now declared stable.  It lives in a branch named
RELENG_2.

Horde 3 is the current HEAD branch.

Point releases of Horde 2 (e.g. Horde 2.0 (current in RC) and
Horde 2.1 (the next release) will be made from the RELENG_2
branch.

At some point in the future, the HEAD code will become RELENG_3,
Horde 3.0 will be released, and the HEAD code will become Horde
4.0.

New development will always occur in the HEAD branch first (when
possible, anyway).  Changes can always be merged back into the
STABLE tree.

The idea is to basically build up tested code in HEAD and then
merge those changes back into STABLE.  Only those changes that
don't break backwards-compatibility should be merged, however.

As far as CVS is concerned, the commands are quite simple:

To check out the head versions of Horde and IMP:

    $ cvs checkout horde
    $ cvs checkout imp

To check out the stable versions of Horde and IMP:

    $ cvs checkout -r RELENG_2 horde
    $ cvs checkout -r RELENG_3 imp

You can tell what branch you're working on by looking at the
CVS/Tag file in your local checkout.

This will require us to become much more branch savy.  There's a
lot of good cvs documentation online, or you can ask me for help
about working with cvs branches if you have other questions.

I'll of course be monitoring the commits, too.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)