Horde 2.0: Languages keeps changing during session

Leena Heino liinu@uta.fi
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:52:27 +0200 (EET)

It would seem that compared to previous IMP (2.2.x) version there is
something wrong with the language selection in IMP 3.0. It would seem that
browsers language setting will sometimes overide anything user may have
chosen as a language. This can be quite confusing to casual user.

In testing this feature, I've used browser that has english as a default
language. If I happen to change the browser preferred language to the same
language as I happen to use in IMP then everything will appear in correct
language. Though casual user cannot always change the preferred language
in a browser.

Here's couple of examples:
If in login screen one chooses to use some other language than english
then it changes the text in a screen. This is fine and good. But if some
error happens while logging in eg. wrong password then error message is
shown in English and it "forgets" the language that user has chosen. It
would seem that in this case the browsers language setting is always used
and user's choice is forgotten.

Some IMP's and Horde's text will appear in english even if user has chosen
to use some other language and even when user has saved this non english
language to preferences. Couple of examples of this is the
"Problem?"-screen and the text of the little icons at the bottom of the
screen. Both of these appear in english even if the user is using non
english language.

--
  -- Leena Heino (liinu@uta.fi)

>From jan@horde.org Date: Fri,  4 Jan 2002 15:06:10 +0100
> It would seem that compared to previous IMP (2.2.x) version there is
> something wrong with the language selection in IMP 3.0. It would seem
> that
> browsers language setting will sometimes overide anything user may have
> chosen as a language. This can be quite confusing to casual user.
>
> In testing this feature, I've used browser that has english as a
> default
> language. If I happen to change the browser preferred language to the
> same
> language as I happen to use in IMP then everything will appear in
> correct
> language. Though casual user cannot always change the preferred
> language
> in a browser.
>
> Here's couple of examples:
> If in login screen one chooses to use some other language than english
> then it changes the text in a screen. This is fine and good. But if
> some
> error happens while logging in eg. wrong password then error message is
> shown in English and it "forgets" the language that user has chosen. It
> would seem that in this case the browsers language setting is always
> used
> and user's choice is forgotten.

This should be fixed in the cvs version (HEAD). Can you try it out?

> Some IMP's and Horde's text will appear in english even if user has
> chosen
> to use some other language and even when user has saved this non
> english
> language to preferences. Couple of examples of this is the
> "Problem?"-screen and the text of the little icons at the bottom of the
> screen. Both of these appear in english even if the user is using non
> english language.

The wrong language in the problem window is a bug. I'll fix it.

The language in the Horde menu is another story. This is already loaded
when the user first accesses the framework, this is why it always has the
browser language. Any patches on how to fix this are welcome.

Jan.

AMMMa AG - discover your knowledge
Detmolder Str. 25-33 :: D-33604 Bielefeld
fon +49.521.96878-0 :: fax  +49.521.96878-20
http://www.ammma.de